Tuesday, January 1, 2013

You shouldn't need to be a lawyer

You shouldn't need to be a lawyer to go shopping.

I went to two grocery stores in upscale secular neighborhoods in Israel.

The first one only suffered from  terrible customer service. After waiting in line for over 10 minutes they finally opened a 2nd lane. When I told them that I forgot my membership card, they couldn't find me by my ID number, which was an almost five minute process. Rather than swiping a store card, the clerk wanted me to fill in forms for a new card. I told the clerk that I'd now spent over 15 minutes in line and I just want to pay and leave. Finally I walked out and left my items on the conveyer belt.




I took a pic of my card when I got home: here it is jagoffs.










Then I went to one of the Super-Sols, where I am also a member. Again, with the long lines with one cashier until a 2nd was opened... or maybe she was opened but just moving so slow you couldn't tell.

Throughout the tedious and arduous checkout process I kept stopping the clerk and asking, isn't that a buy one get a 2nd for 50% off? As I had purchased significantly more than I'd planned because of the prominent sale displays throughout the store on set aside shelving with sale signage.  But not everything in those spots are on sale. They mix in a variety of non-sale items which look eerily similar to the sale items.

And I bought 300 grams of smoked salmon.  The price at the deli was 14.90 per 100 gram. At checkout it came up as 190.80 per kilo = 19.80 per 100. The clerk didn't believe me so we walked to the deli counter. I showed her the displayed price of 14.90 per 100. She didn't understand that 10 X100 gram = 1kg. and that 190.80 was not the correct price. Another 5 minutes of that.

OMG, it was a tues late afternoon. This is when they are slow!

But at least their prices are high.

I'm less disgusted with poor customer service than I am with conscious efforts to deceive one's customers and that's how shopping at Super-Sol felt. But both experiences were horrendous and similar events occur with far too much frequency.










No comments: