Thursday, January 26, 2012

An Interesting Thing on the way to Israeli Restaurant Review #2

So after my Kanibar fiasco I was anticipating the opportunity to eat out and write a review of a typical dining experience in Israel which is usually awesome.

Lucky me. Who knew it would come so soon.

The next day was a friend's 40th birthday. ( Hi R. Luv ya babe!)

6 of us went out to Temple Bar in the G center in Kfar Saba.

http://www.templebar.co.il/

I arrived first. While I waited I started chatting with the guy working the door. Big guy but fit and trim, maybe early 20's, nice smile... real friendly. And I speak hebrew with such an obvious American accent that anyone who knows a lick of English auto switches from Hebrew so they can practice their English.

So we started talking. He asked me where I was from, why I came to Israel... all the usual questions.

And I asked him where he is from.

And that's when things got sketchy.

You won't know it, he said. - Ok, maybe I will, and if not, I will now.
Yeah, it's no place you've been, he said. - Right, I haven't been to most of Israel, this is how I learn.
It's near Netanya (a big well known city not too far from me). - Great, I know Netanya a bit, what's your area called?
I'm not Jewish, he said quietly.

Huh?

I'm not Jewish he repeated in almost a whisper.

I paused. It took me a while to figure out where that came from and what that meant.

After I remembered that I aint in Kansas anymore, I looked him square in the eye and I said, Buddy, I'm from the United States of America. There are over 300 Million people in the USA and you wanna know something?

yeah...?

Most of 'em aint Jewish.

His face lit up and a big smile and wave of relief washed over his face. We shook hands and he said, I'm from Bakko, I'm an Israeli Arab.

We chatted a bit more and then my part showed up.

How happy I feel that a random person could offset a drop of what he has to walk around with every day in Israel.

How sad I feel that he walks around with this every day.


Now onto the review.

Overall Great!

Downside: The fries weren't great, which is a bit disappointing.


Upside: Fantastic decor, spacious and comfortable interesting ambience. Wonderful service. A huge beer and liquor selection. Irish/Israeli pub motif. Fantastic menu. Great food. Fair prices. Great presentation of food. Great service. (yes I said this before but service is a huge criteria for me). Decent live music, but not so loud that you couldn't interact with friends, in the middle of the week. Loads of parking.

Definite Must Go.

I had the sampler platter of sausage, wings, spring chicken and other assorted meats. But I sampled my friends foods... fish n'chips, Shepard's pie and more.

It was all really really yummy and the service was good and the prices fair.

What more do you want?

No comments: